THRIVE POLICY & ADVOCACY Initiative
We'd like to take a moment to announce our new Thrive Policy & Advocacy Initiative. Many of you know that this is the result of several months of forums, surveys, and feedback from the community. As part of this new initiative, we are launching Thrive Action Groups (TAGs!) this summer.
We're proud to announce the formation of TAGs! in five key issue areas identified as a result of our Reflect, Respond, & Engage series. As you'll see below, each of our TAGs is spearheaded by an expert Anchor Organization:
Purpose of TAGs! - Thrive Action Groups
Monitor, Communicate, and Advocate!
- To monitor key shifts in each area in light of the changing national trajectory
- To communicate opportunities and threats in the environment to the Thrive community
- To advocate for positive change by harnessing collective wisdom and power of the group
There will be one anchor organization for each Action Group that would be responsible for sign ins, agendas and reporting back to Thrive. Thrive will take the summaries and will create a monthly advocacy and policy newsletter.
TAGs! - Thrive Action Groups
- Children & Education: Second Wednesdays (July 12, August 9, September 13, etc.) Led by Heather Cleary, Executive Director, Peninsula Family Services.
- Immigration & Worker’s Rights: Stacey Hawver, Executive Director, Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County. Third Wednesdays (July 19, August 16, September 20, etc.)
- Basic Services & Safety Net: Fourth Wednesdays (July 26, August 23, September 27, etc.) Led by Bart Charlow, Executive Director, Samaritan House.
Arts & Culture and Environment & Sustainability are TAGs we plan to establish in the future. Please reach out to me directly if you are interested in these groups.
TAG Meeting Times and Location
Monthly, Wednesday mornings, 8:00-9:00 am
Room will be available until 9:30 for informal discussions
Sobrato Center for Nonprofits - Redwood Shores
Channel and Pacific Conference Rooms
330 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City, CA 94065
Thrive Policy and Advocacy Training Series
In addition to our TAGs, which are issue specific, we will be providing a series of trainings to support all of our Thrive membership in their policy and advocacy work.
Bolder Advocacy: August 31, 2017 9:30 am-12:00 pm. Presented by Thrive in cooperation with the Alliance for Justice, United Way Bay Area, and Rise Together. See the attached flyer for details.
Future trainings: Media, Fall. Government and Budget, Winter.
TAG meetings will initially be open to anyone in the community. In the future, we may need to limit to Thrive membership. We look forward to connecting with you on these important issues.