Potrero Kids seeks a Head of School (HOS) who will be responsible for leading the organization, understanding its culture, sustaining its reputation and maintaining its collaborative spirit while growing the organization to meet the needs of the future.
Potrero Kids (PK) is a year-round, dual-language (Spanish/English), 2-campus preschool in San Francisco operated by the Potrero Residents Education Fund (PREFund), a nonprofit dedicated to creating a stronger, more vibrant San Francisco by ensuring that families from a diversity of income levels stay and raise their children in the city. PK has a mission to create a trusting environment for children, parents, and staff in which the learning that takes place extends beyond our four walls and enriches our families and our community. PK provides high-quality preschool services to the working families of Potrero Hill and the Eastern Neighborhood communities.
Organizational Development & Management: Reporting to and acting as a member of the Board, the HOS will hold strong leadership skills to effectively manage the fiscal and human resources of this $2 million nonprofit organization. The HOS will possess the ability to effectively supervise and work with a diverse staff of 27 while supporting and sustaining a positive working environment.
Human Resources: The Head of School ensures compliance with program policies and procedures and manages all aspects of human resources, including recruitment, orientation, policy development and implementation, conflict resolution, hiring, and termination, etc. Working closely with the Early Childhood Education Manager the HOS will support teachers to grow professionally.
Financial: In collaboration with the Business & Finance Manager, the Head of School ensures fiscal responsibility to meet financial objectives and obligations. The HOS will oversee the development, recommendation and management of an annual $2 million budget to ensure solvency.
Admissions: The Head of School manages the full admissions process, from outreach and marketing to tours, interviews, and enrollment.
Communication & Community Relations: As Potrero Kids’ representative and advocate, the HOS builds positive relations in the community to enhance the effectiveness of PK’s services. The HOS will ensure high quality and smooth operations of communications by developing and maintaining strong systems and by implementing effective and regular communication between staff and families. The HOS will be able to connect with both children and adults in a positive and respectful manner.
Board: The HOS will report to and work with the Board on policy and procedures issues regarding programs, admissions, finances, new projects, board development, fundraising, advocacy, and community relations.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated success leading a $1 million to $2 million nonprofit/educational organization; excellent management, planning, and organizational skills
- Experience successfully collaborating with a Board of Directors to develop and implement strategic initiatives that ensure the long-term health of Potrero Kids
- Direct experience managing all aspects of Human Resources for an organization and supervising a minimum staff size of 15.
- Verifiable work developing and effectively managing an annual budget to successfully meet fiscal goals.
- Oversight or direct work planning and implementing fundraising initiatives and events for an education program or organization
- Experience providing sound, confident and creative leadership in a Project Approach and/or Emergent Curriculum school setting; knowledge or experience in cutting-edge pedagogical methods and trends
- Passion and commitment to early childhood education, preschool teaching experience and/or genuine enjoyment of working in a teaching environment with children
- Skill building community and in communicating effectively throughout diverse stakeholder groups
- Masters, in Early Childhood Education, Nonprofit/Education Administration or related field - or Bachelors, plus equivalent years of relevant work experience
- Fluency in Spanish
- Program Director permit (or permit eligibility)
SALARY & BENEFITS
This is a full time, salaried, exempt position. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Benefits include PTO, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, 401K, FSA plus tuition discount for children enrolled at Potrero Kids.
This search is being led by Cindi Hubbard & Associates. Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume (in PDF format) in confidence to Cindi Hubbard at email@example.com. Include in the subject line: “Potrero Kids – Head of School Search”. To apply on LinkedIn visit: https://bit.ly/2NiDXm0
Potrero Kids is committed to equal employment opportunity and respects and values a diverse workforce. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, pregnancy/lactation, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.